As we wrap things up for 2016 and the cold weather begins to set in, we are in the process of planning for 2017 and beyond.
A couple notes of interest:
The village will be wrapping up our curbside leaf collection this week (Dec. 9th) so we can prep our trucks for the upcoming winter weather. All leaves collected after Friday will need to be bagged in yard waste bags for pick up by Mahargs Trash Service. We also completed the final curbside brush pickup for the winter this past week. We will not likely do another until March or April depending on weather.
Those involved with the village’s natural gas aggregation program will have noticed that this program expired in November and we were unable to obtain a bid for any extended period due to the historically low gas prices. If you do nothing, your service will be switched to Dominions standard offering which is currently $2.714 / MCF (our previous aggregation rate was $4.79 / MCF) on a monthly variable rate. You are welcome to sign up with a provider as many good rates are out there and can be locked in for a year or two. Be careful to check on any cancellation fees if you do this as we will continue to work toward getting a competitive bid for the aggregation program. If you stay with the standard rate offered by Dominion you will automatically be switched to any aggregation program offering that we procure. Any questions please feel free to contact me at the village offices.
As for current and future projects:
- We have wrapped up work on the Paul Staugler Memorial Recreational Trail for the winter as the lights have been installed and are working. Final wrap up work will be completed in the spring along with a dedication ceremony.
- We will be doing work along Sharpsburg Road early next year to install utilities and we will also be doing some work at our lagoons to make them operate more effectively.
- We received notice that funding was approved for the William Street reconstruction project for next year. This will include a wider street, curbs, sidewalks, street lamps and improved storm sewers and should be done sometime next summer/fall.
- We also are finalizing the plans to install basketball/tennis courts in Community Park along with some additional parking. This again is scheduled for next summer construction.
- The restroom renovation is ongoing at Community Park and we are hopeful that we will have it completed for use by next year’s park season.
Reminder that Mayor Kaup is continuing the Christmas Decorating Contest as started by Mayor Broerman. Prizes will be awarded to the top three with the judging done on the evening of December 23rd. No entry is required and all residents of the village are eligible to win.
As always if you have any issue that you feel needs addressed, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the village office or stop in and see me and I will be glad to discuss it with you. Also a reminder that our village council meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month at 7:30 pm in the village hall and anyone is welcome to attend.
Randy Diller, Village Administrator