Another year is flying by and hopefully you are enjoying this great weather! As always there are many things going on in the village right now and we continue to plan for future projects. Here is an update on projects from 2016 that are either completed or being worked on now:
- Paving Overlay Project – John, Fairlane, Little Turtle and a portion of Blue Jacket were overlaid this summer with a fresh coat of asphalt. Various areas were excavated and repaired prior to the blacktop being installed.
- Water Plant Maintenance – a new roof was installed on the water plant (still the original from 1983) along with a fresh coat of paint on the exterior. The garage expansion was also finalized with the addition of a Sanitary testing lab being finished up this winter.
- Buck Ditch Tile Maintenance – a section of the large concrete Buck Ditch tile was replaced after a large area collapsed.
- Elm Street Reconstruction – the southernmost block of Elm Street was reconstructed with new curbing, sidewalks, street lamp, and improved drainage.
- Recreational Trail – work is wrapping up for the year on the new recreational trail in Community Park. Blacktop is completed, dirt work being roughed in, and final attaching concrete work is being poured. Lights are in the process of being installed. Thank you to ODNR for the trail grant and the Paul Staugler family for their donation!
- Restroom Renovation – work is started on the restroom renovation which will increase the size of the restrooms in Community Park to accommodate the larger crowds we enjoy compared to when they were built in the late 1980’s. A special thank you to the Fort Recovery Community Foundation for the funds to complete this project.
- Bench & Trash Receptacle Project – benches were (with some still coming) installed around the new playground area along with new trash receptacles. Additional benches will be placed around the recreational trail and around the park in different areas. These benches were donated by various businesses, organizations and individuals from the community. Thank you for your support!
- Sanitary Lagoon Improvements – work was completed to improve the hydraulics in the lagoons and we will soon be bidding out to have curtains/baffles installed to help improve the functionality of the lagoons.
- Sharpsburg Road Utility Extension – we are opening bids this week to extend our water and sanitary utilities down Sharpsburg Road to service the proposed new housing development along with creating a looped system for our water. This work should be completed by next spring.
Other notes of Interest:
- With much interest in the upcoming election, I want to remind Fort Recovery citizens that the village has two “renewal” levies on the ballot. One is a street maintenance levy and the other a general expenses levy. The street funds are obviously used to maintain our streets in both overlay projects and reconstruction projects and have helped tremendously in providing the funds to keep our streets in good repair. The general expense levy is to assist with the safety expenses for the village that include our police department, street lighting, and other emergency services. These are renewals only and as such will not increase the amount being collected. As in the past we appreciate your continued support of the village activities as we continue making improvements in all areas of the village operations.
- We have applied for a grant to help pay for the reconstruction of William Street with hopeful completion in 2017. This will be a great improvement to the traffic, both vehicular and pedestrian, going to and from both schools and to the athletic facility. This road is planned to be widened and will include curbing, sidewalks, storm drainage, street lamps and improved intersections. We will keep you posted on the progress of the grant application.
- We received a grant from the Ohio Capital Budget to help with the installation of new tennis and basketball courts back at Community Park. As part of the trail project, we have already done much of the ground work to prepare for the courts and hope to be finalizing plans and bidding this project out this winter for completion next summer. This will complete some busy couple years in Community Park!
- Annexation petitions are being worked on currently for different properties near -town which will provide additional housing opportunities while also providing village utility services to these properties.
Another very active year is nearly behind us and we are busy with plans for many other projects to be completed over the next few years. Thank you for your continued support of village projects and operations.
As always if you have any issue that you feel needs addressed, please don’t hesitate to contact me at the village office or stop in and see me and I will be glad to discuss it with you. Also a reminder that our village council meetings are held on the first and third Mondays of each month at 7:30 pm in the village hall and anyone is welcome to attend.
Randy Diller, Village Administrator